Archives

Category Archive for: ‘Acupuncture’

Dry Needling- It could be the answer to your pain

  Lately I’ve been receiving a number of referrals from other practitioners (MD’s, PT’s and other Chiropractors) for a technique I learned about 20 years ago called Dry Needling. Dry needling is a procedure in which a filiform needle is inserted into the skin and muscle directly at  myofascial trigger points. Myofascial trigger points consist of contraction knots, which are related to …

Read More

Do you have Foot and Ankle Pain?

    The foot and ankle complex can influence the entire kinetic chain. In addition, if you have chronic foot and ankle problems, looking at the low back, hips and knees is also prudent as these areas can influence or perpetuate chronic foot and ankle dysfunction. Anatomy The foot is composed of phalanges, metatarsals and tarsals. These bones together with …

Read More

Myofascial Release

             Some of my prior blogs have discussed the use of Foam Rollers and more recently, the use of Trigger Point Performance tools,  for Self Myofascial Release (SMR) Self myofascial release techniques have become increasingly popular among athletes and fitness enthusiasts. Therapists from many disciplines have embraced the use of myofascial release massage to reduce chronic pain …

Read More

Myofascial Pain Syndromes and Perpetuating Factors

  Skeletal muscle  accounts for more than 40% of the total body mass. Throughout life, macro and micro traumas can cause us to develop taut bands within skeletal muscle. Within these bands are more sensitive regions known as myofascial trigger points.     Prevalence Approximately 70% of all pain is primarily myofascial in origin. While the remaining 30% has other …

Read More

Is the pain in your back pain coming from your front?

    Pain is a signal from your nervous system that something is wrong, however, where you feel pain isn’t necessarily where that something  is. In General, there are 3 types of pain: Nociceptive- e.g. Irritation to nerve endings by a  burn  or a cut Inflammatory- e.g.   A sprain/strain injury causing tissue damage Myofascial – structural and functional changes in the nerves, …

Read More

The Science of Gua Sha

      What is Gua Sha? Gua Sha is an Asian healing technique that is centuries old. Gua means to scrape or rub. Sha is a reddish, elevated, skin rash (also known as petechiae). Sha indicates Blood stasis (poor circulation) in the subcutaneous tissue. Gua Sha is a technique that intentionally produces petechiae. It is commonly used for pain …

Read More

Are you scarred for Life?

    Scars (adhesions) are areas of fibrous tissue that replace normal tissue after an injury. A scar results from the biological process of wound repair and is a natural part of the healing process in most cases. Scar tissue is the same protein (collagen) as the tissue that it replaces, but the fiber composition of the protein is different. …

Read More

Take Two Needles and Call me in the Morning

    Exciting new research on acupuncture, read on… Weight Loss A recent study found that acupuncture improves weight loss outcomes for the treatment of obesity. Using biochemical analysis, researchers discovered potentially how acupuncture stimulates fat reduction. Electroacupuncture controls the expression of leptin, a hormone that regulates appetite and metabolism. Leptin regulation  promotes weight loss by altering both appetite and …

Read More

What’s the difference between acupuncture and dry needling (IMS)?

    About 20 years ago I read an article about a medical doctor in Vancouver BC who was performing a technique he developed called Intramuscular Stimulation (IMS). I was so intrigued by this form of therapy, that I took him out for lunch to learn more. The results of our meeting lead me to pursue additional education and training, …

Read More

Have you Been Screened for Regular Movements?

    Many of us go for a physical each year, where a screening exam is performed on the various systems in our body. The purpose of a screen is generally three-fold: Identify risk factors; Identify dysfunction or pathology; and Monitor the course of disease. Screens serve to give healthcare providers information upon which to act. An action may be …

Read More
Page 4 of 6« First...«23456»