10 Behavioral Hacks You Can Use To Lose Weight Over the Holidays
Lets face it, this can be a tough time of year to keep those extra pounds off, but its doesn’t have to be.
Try these 10 Behavioral Hacks To Lose Weight Over the Holidays:
- Eat your food on smaller plates. This hack has been shown to keep your serving portions more moderate.
- Cut back on eating out and when you do eat out, choose protein and vegetable options, e.g. Chicken salad for lunch; Fish and vegetables for dinner; or a salad and 1-2 appetizers rather than an entree. My wife and I usually share plates
- Bring fruit and raw nuts to work so you have healthy alternatives to choose from.
- Brush and floss right after dinner to avoid late night snacking on sweets/treats.
- Stop routinely buying snacks at the grocery store.
- Eat breakfast. My go to is a Berry Green Smoothie and some sort of protein (e.g. chicken sausage or eggs).
- Taskersize- Try to fit in small bouts of exercise whenever possible, like doing jumping jacks or crunches during television commercials or dancing while washing dishes. This burns extra calories and keeps you away from mindlessly munching in front of the TV.
- Do a purge- Clean out your fridge and pantry and replace foods that you overindulge in with healthy alternatives like raw nuts, fruit, carrots, celery and peppers, almond butter, hummus and guacamole.
- Subscribe to a podcast and aim for 2-3 fifteen minute brisk walks every day while you listen; Or crank up your favorite Pandora station and step it up a notch.
- Be mindful when you eat- Focus on your food, family and friends.
Study of the week:
Consuming a high protein diet (3.4 g/kg/d) in conjunction with a heavy resistance-training program may confer benefits with regards to body composition. Furthermore, there is no evidence that consuming a high protein diet has any deleterious effects.