Are you Itching to Get Out of Your Skin?
Eczema is a challenging condition since it has many possible causes, including heredity, the environment, stress, dehydration and food sensitivities.
Heredity is beyond our control, but by reducing exposure to the other potential causes, it is possible to eliminate or dramatically reduce the symptoms of eczema.
- Eliminate dust mites (bedding, blankets, carpet)
- Change to all-natural detergents, soaps, shampoos, conditioners and lotions (with no fragrance)
- Eliminate fabric softeners and perfumes
- Avoid hot showers, jacuzzis and hot saunas
- Avoid long showers
- Lather up with lotion immediately after bathing and stay moisturized
- Assess environmental contributors (check with the American Lung Association)
- Consider allergies to pets
- The following may help with managing stress:
- Regular exercise
- Deep breathing throughout the day
- Identify food sensitivities and repair the gut. Eczema is often linked to dairy and wheat sensitivities, but every person is different and sometimes sensitivities can be to those foods you least expect. Once sensitivities are identified, it is critical to achieve optimal gut function.
- Follow anti-inflammatory diet
- Stay adequately hydrated by drinking plenty of water
- Supplements to consider: fish oil, evening primrose oil, multivitamin/mineral, probiotic, quercetin
For more information on managing eczema (and other conditions) through nutrition, please contact Stephanie Lecovin, MS, RD at stephanie@nutritionhousecalls or visit her website at www.nutritionhousecalls.com